Ever since Overseas AST Co. LLC first started operations in Dubai in 1959, it has distinguished itself from its competitors by its focused approach to customer service, with the company committed to providing its clients with comprehensive, single-source solutions and with customer satisfaction as its trademark.
Overseas AST is currently celebrating their 50th year of operating in the UAE. AST was founded in Austria in 1898 by an engineer, Eduard Wilhelm Ast, and grew to be one of Europe’s biggest contractors.
After successfully completing a number of projects in Kuwait during the 1950’s AST ventured to Dubai to carry out the Dubai Harbour improvement and extension works for the Ruler of Dubai in 1959. At this time, oil production has still to begin and the formation of the UAE was more than a decade away.
Soon after the Company was established in Dubai in 1959 it was officially incorporated by a Ruler’s decree in 1964.
In 1983, two prominent UAE businessmen, Khalifa Juma Al Nabooda of Dubai and Abdulla Mohammed Al Mazrui of Abu Dhabi, acquired a 51% stake in the company. They bought the remainder in 2003.
Following the successful completion of the Dubai Harbour improvement works, the construction of the Maktoum Bridge in 1962 - 1963 was the first of the numerous landmark projects that Overseas AST have delivered and which have helped change the face of the UAE.
Other prestigious projects which contributed to Dubai’s and later to the UAE’s exceptional development were the underwater oil storage vessels - Khazzans in the late 1960’s, the Dubai Harbour Extension works including the Customs Wharf, Souq Wharf and Ingram Wharf by 1965, the establishment of the Dubai Water Supply Network between 1962 - 1964, the construction of the opening spans of the Maktoum Bridge and Garhoud Bridge in 1970.